6.13.2010

A Hairstyle / Magazine Related Rant

In an earlier post, I took great pains to enthuse about the wonderfulness of my shiny new hairstyle, in all its chiselled, bob-esque glory. Now don't get me wrong, I still adore my swishy new hair with its sleek shape and diagonal lines, but I have recently become very frustrated with the amount of complex hairstyles featured in both weekly and monthly fashion mags, which are completely un-doable for us shorter haired beauties. In some cases, four or five on-trend hairdos take up a full, glossy photo spread each - four or five pages which girls with cropped styles can only skim past with a slightly annoyed sigh.

For example, in this month's GLAMOUR magazine, '6 gorgeous things to do with your hair on holiday' starts off by suggesting we buy a clip on plait (£25) so that we don't feel left out (note my sarcasm), then follows with two styles that involve piling your hair on top of your head in that messy, 'You may think I couldn't care less but I in fact spent an hour on my barnet', kind of way. I admit that with a bit of length like mine, 'The dressed-up (undone) waves' are just achievable, but the pigtails and high twist may as well be screaming 'Ha, that's what you get for chopping all your hair off'. Not one style out of six focusses on very short hair, and only one can be feasibly attempted with mid-length tresses. Not very all-round.

Similarly, LOOK mag each week creates 4 looks to copy, either beauty or hair related. Whilst the stunning yet simple with practice make-up creations featured in the past are great for everybody, the hairstyles becoming more favoured of late are once again impossible for those lacking in the length department. As a side issue, all of these looks also involve cramming your locks with enough products to create your own mini o-zone layer, something I particularly hate due to allergies.

Not to put a downer on experimentation, but what's wrong with '5 hot ways to wear this season's hairbands', or 'Top tips for straightening', or even 'Product free techniques that really work'? I recently discovered how to crimp hair with straighteners by twisting a small section really tight and clamping the irons along the length inch by inch until fixed in - no products required, and would take a few lines of print maximum. Just a thought fellow beauty lovers. Long hair isn't everything! 

Lou x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers