6.03.2010

Maxi-tastic!

FINALLY, I can return to blogging, after a long and painful exam-induced absence. The last exam is over, the final essay handed in, and don't want to even see another text book until at least august. So what's happened in the fashion world since my last post? Well, even though we've been having these flash hot spells for a few weeks, it's finally become acceptable to ditch spring in-between wear for full on summer clobber. And for me, nothing says dreamy summer days quite like the trend-resistant maxi dress. This year, the maxi has really come into its own, with a variety of styles being stocked and raved about in all the major high street stores and fashion mags. Personally, my quest for the perfect summer outfit started with my outright loathing for my horrendous knees. Two stone I may have lost, but someone forgot to inform my much bemoaned knees of this idea, and the stubborn pockets of fat over them refuse to budge no mater what I try. Last summer, this was less of an issue, as I was able to find a wealth of summer dresses that covered the nasty bits and showed only the bottom of my knees, thus saving me the embarrassmet of being pointed at by small children like an exhibit at the freak show. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating, but the point is, this season is all about the short hemlines, the more headband-like the better. As tights are no longer appropriate, I've had to stash my beloved shorts until autumn, and can't wear my short floral dresses without leggings. So when I noticed the love pervading the fashion world for this summer style, I decided to become a fully-fledged member of the maxi club and buy my first ever floor length dress. Choosing a black number from Miss Selfridge, embellished with bronze, gold and silver sequins around the neck, I fell in love with the dreamy feeling of floating around in a dress that both screams exotic mystery and hides everything untoned. Genius! I've since bought a secong maxi from Miss S, a bright floral number with a more fun feel. Whatever your trend of choice, there's a maxi out there for you. Check out my pick and get the look for yourself. Thighs? What thighs?

  • Starting with Topshop, this Western Lace Maxi Dress, at £45, ticks the white lacy box and falls across your figure with flattering ease. A beach & city staple alike.
  • Here's my Large Floral Maxi from Miss Selfridge, also £45. The bold antique floral print gives a vintage feel that prevents the pattern looking gaudy.
  • If demure black's more your thing, check out this Ruffle bandeau maxi dress, only £28 at Dorothy Perkins. LOOK Magazine ran a feature on short bandeaus this week, but the maxi version has a bit more class for those who prefer understated elegance.
  • If you want to work your maxi at night, this jewel-blue silver embellised version from Warehouse, a slightly steep £100, will create effortless luxe. Shimmering like an azure sea, this silky style is perfect for flaunting your tan whilst keeping your figure under wraps.
  • Finally, if your nemesis is flabby arms, try sleeves in your maxi like this Oriental Placement number, £60 from Oasis. Slightly more grown-up, the eastern print is very vogue for the hotter months, yet the jersey style wouldn't look out of place at work as well as on a shoping trip.



Lou xxx

3 comments:

  1. nIcE bLoG!

    check out my blog and tell
    ur friends about it :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank god for all this hot weather, I've had plenty of wear out of my two!

    ReplyDelete

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers